Sponsored Research Conflict of Interest (COI) Training
As a condition of federal funding, the University must establish procedures that provide a reasonable expectation that the design, conduct and reporting of research will be free from bias resulting from Investigator Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOIs or COIs).
Federal regulations required that UNCG:
- Maintain a current, documented, and enforced COI policy
- Educate Investigators as to UNCG’s COI policies and procedures
- Facilitate and ensure Investigator compliance with initial and ongoing COI disclosure requirements
- Identify and manage COIs
- Flow down sponsor COI requirements to subrecipients/collaborators
- Meet sponsor and other COI reporting requirements
To comply with these requirements, UNCG has instituted online COI training and require that a COI disclosure form be completed. Any person who is responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of research must complete the training and disclosure form. This always includes: 1) Principal Investigator/Project Director and 2) Key Personnel (an individual who contributes in a substantial and measureable way to a project. This may also include: 1) Outside collaborators (e.g. subrecipient Investigators, consultants) and 2) Any other faculty, staff, post-docs, graduate students, or even technicians identified in the proposal.
Individuals can access the COI Training through RAMSeS or can go to the COI Training page or login to AIR and click the COI Training link in the menu options at the top of the page to complete the certification process.
UNCG requires the completion of the COI training at least once every three years.