Proposal Preparation and Submission Process
- PI works with department and research dean’s office(s) on preliminary aspects of the proposal.
- At least 10 business days prior to proposal submission date, PI begins RAMSeS proposal file ensuring that sponsor’s submission procedures (url of website or attachment of RFP) are uploaded.
- Prior to beginning the proposal, PI reviews the guidelines for the application process and the requirements.
- PI begins writing the technical/narrative portion of the proposal and develops the budget.
- At least 5 business days prior to the proposal submission date, PI submits the RAMSeS proposal file for routing and approval – all parts of the proposal, except the proposal narrative must be in final form (files completed and uploaded into the proposal package/format).
- The proposal is routed in RAMSeS and reviewed by the department chairs (or Center or Institute Directors) of the PI and all co-PIs, for department/unit compatibility, budget, or other commitments or use of facilities and by the dean(s) of the PI and all Co-PIs, for consistency with college or unit goals, budget, or other commitments or use of facilities.
- PI works with the Grant Specialist responsible for budget review in the Office of Sponsored Programs to finalize budget.
- PI works with the Grants Specialist in the Office of Sponsored Programs to finalize the proposal package prior to submitting to funding agency. The OSP will review for compliance to university policy, state or federal regulations, budget and fiscal compliance, sponsor certifications and assurances, adherence to regulatory and safety compliance, and potential conflicts of interest.
- The Office of Sponsored Programs completes one final review of the proposal to makes sure it meets the requirements and guidelines of the sponsor’s RFP.
- The Office of Sponsored Programs submits the proposal to the funding agency – either electronically or in paper form. There are instances where the PI submits the proposal directly to the funding agency. When this occurs, the PI should inform the OSP that they will submit and provide the OSP with confirmation once the proposal has been successfully submitted to the funding agency.